The inspiration for this dish was a non-vegan broccoli rabe and sausage pasta recipe. I was initially just going to replace the chicken sausage with vegan sausage. But then I replaced the broccoli rabe with kale since I had that in my fridge and wanted to use it while it was still fresh. The addition of mini heirloom tomatoes was made to give this dish more color and that’s how this dish was born!
Kale + Sausage + Tomato Penne Pasta
– 3-4 leaves of kale, washed, and torn into bite sized pieces
– 2 links of vegan sausage, I used Original Field Roast Grain Meat Co. brand (pictured below)
– about 8 oz of mini heirloom tomatoes, halved/cut into bite sized pieces
– about 2 cups of penne pasta
– 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 TBS parsley, chopped
– grapeseed oil for cooking (or any other oil you have on hand will do)
– salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until tender. Taste test, then drain the water and transfer pasta to a large serving bowl. Set aside.
In a large sauce pan, heat up oil. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Add vegan sausage and cook until heated through and both sides are browned. Toss in parsley and cook for a few more minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
In the same pan, add a bit of oil and cook kale until beginning to wilt. Add tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Cook until kale has wilted and tomatoes are heated.
Add sausage, kale, and tomatoes to the bowl of pasta. Add salt and pepper and a light drizzle of olive oil if you’d like. Toss everything together and serve immediately while dish is still warm.